Our company realizes the online application process may pose a few questions. Please read the Frequently Asked Questions below to help troubleshoot any application errors you experience.
Why is an applicant tracking system (ATS) utilized for candidates to apply for positions?
An ATS is used to better manage the candidate submission and hiring process. We receive a large volume of applications each year and want to give each candidate the attention and consideration that he/she deserves. By completing your profile on our ATS for an open position, your applications are immediately entered into our database. This information is then made available to the recruiter responsible for filling the position you responded to and your information will be searchable by all of our recruiters for other positions.
How do I apply for a job on-line?
1. Go to the ‘Employment Listings’ tab on the website.
2. Click on ‘Search Current Openings’.
3. Choose the appropriate key words and criteria for your search.
4. Click on a job that matches your interest.
5. If you are a first time applicant, you will choose ‘New Resumé/CV’. (Note: You will have the option to load a resumé or key your pertinent information into the system.)
6. If you would like to apply for additional positions, follow the instructions above. You will have the option of either choosing an existing resumé/CV or uploading a new one. (Note: In order to upload a new resumé, you will need to follow the profile set up steps again.)
7. Continue through the necessary steps in order to finalize your profile. (Note: You will need to click ‘Submit’ twice, once at the end of the steps and again after reviewing your profile, in order for your application to be completed.)
8. Following these steps will allow you to apply for a position as well as create a job profile for you.
How can I edit my job profile?
Your job profile will allow you to quickly apply for other positions. To edit your profile, you will click on the ‘Update Your Profile’. Once you have logged into ‘Update Your Profile’, you can update your basic information by clicking on ‘Edit Profile’ at the top of the screen. To edit or upload a resumé by position, you will click on the ‘View Resumé/CV’ link beside the respective position and scroll to the bottom of the page.
How can I apply if I don’t have a computer at home?
You can apply using any computer with Internet access. Public computers can often be found at your local library or state employment centers.
What should I do if I don’t have an e-mail address?
Internet e-mail accounts can be set-up, free of charge, from several websites. Examples of these are: www.hotmail.com, www.yahoo.com and www.gmail.com.
What jobs are currently open?
All available positions are posted on the website. Open positions remain posted until filled or cancelled.
What should I put in the resumé field if I don’t have a resumé?
You do not have to upload a resumé/CV in order to create a profile; however, you must upload one in order to create a Job Agent. If you choose not to upload a resumé/CV for your profile, you will be asked to list your skills and professional experience within the application.
Can I edit a resumé that I have already submitted to a position?
Yes. To do so, go to ‘Update Your Profile’ and click on ‘View Current Resumé/CV’ beside the respective position. Scroll to the bottom of the page and either upload a new resumé or edit specific changes in the text box.
How do I see the positions in which I have applied?
You will need to log into Update Your Profile. Once in Update Your Profile, you will be able to view all of the jobs for which you have submitted your resumé/qualification to and see the status of the position.
In order to apply for a job, will I need to complete a profile even if I completed a job agent?
Yes, in order to be considered for an open position, you will need to create a profile in order to apply.
What is a ‘Job Agent’?
Job Agents allow applicants to submit their e-mail address to the system in order to receive notifications of all newly posted positions applicable to the candidates’ skill set and experience. These e-mails are automated and are sent out directly from the ATS. **Please note: Once you have received a notification of a newly posted position you must still submit an interest for the position. Receiving a job notification does not mean that your application has been submitted for the position.
How do I create a Job Agent?
1. Click on ‘Create Job Agent’ and complete the required fields. (Note: you must upload a resumé/CV to create a Job Agent.)
2. Fill in your e-mail address and choose a password that you will remember. You will need to remember the email address and password that you used in order to log back into the system in the future. If you forget your password, you will need to create a new job agent.
3. The job agent is designed to automatically send positions to you that match your resumé based on the percentage that your resumé/CV is a fit to a position. You will be able to set the percent match that you prefer for you to receive the job alert.
How do I discontinue receiving job alerts?
The next time you receive a job alert click on the provided link to discontinue the service or log into Update Job Agent and click on the ‘Delete Agent’ button at the bottom of the screen.
I have entered my e-mail address, but the system tells me that there is no log-in for that address. What does this mean?
This means that you may have entered a single resumé into the system, through the job agent but you have not set up a profile. You will need to click ‘Search Current Opening’, select a position in which to apply, and select ‘Apply New Resumé/CV’ to complete a profile. Creating a profile will allow you to apply to future positions without having to complete the response form each time.
How do I reset my password for my Profile?
If you have forgotten your profile password, click on ‘Update Your Profile’ in the Employment Listings section. Click on the ‘Forgot Password’ link and you will be prompted to enter your email address. Information to log into the system will be sent to your e-mail address.
I tried to submit my profile, but the web page indicated that there was an error. What should I do?
If you are not running on a platform or browser supported by our ATS, you will need to upgrade your system and then revisit our site to apply online. Our ATS works best with Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox, and Safari. If you are using Google Chrome, this may be causing the issue.
How will I know that my resumé/qualifications have been submitted for the position(s)?
You will receive an immediate email response acknowledging receipt of your application as soon as you submit one.
How long does it take to fill a position?
The time to fill a position varies depending on a number of factors including the type of position, the number of candidates, the hiring manager’s schedule, etc. It may take several weeks to several months to fill a position.
How will I know if I am being considered for the job?
If you are a candidate under consideration, a recruiter will be in contact with you.
How do I know if a position is still open?
If you have not received an e-mail indicating that the position has been filled, you can log into ‘Employment Listings’ and view the status of any job for which you have submitted an interest too using a profile.
Should I submit a paper resumé as well?
No – our recruitment process is paperless; we no longer accept paper resumés. Receiving applications through the ATS is the only method that HMS Global Maritime/Seaward Services Inc./AQSC uses to accept a resumé.